Some things you'll want to know!
New members... welcome to the GBCC!
Some things you should know.
- You are welcome to join any league... some leagues will have set teams already, but that doesn't mean you should feel you are not welcome. Many teams are in need of an extra curler either on a regular basis or as a 5th person throughout the season. This is a great way to make yourself known and you will soon find yourself a permanent fixture on a regular team.
- Throughout the year GBCC hosts various bonspiels. Some are for GBCC members only and others are primarily for teams entering from out of town. All are fun events... with no pressure put on you the curler to excel whatsoever. Sure there may be a turkey or a medal up for stake at a club spiel, but fun is always the order of the day. We encourage you to sign up for any or all of the in-club spiels as they occur. Check our Club Events section for upcoming events.
- You will be contacted (and it might be frequently!) by various members of the club board of directors, committees or league chairs (AKA convenors in Canada). Most of this communication is done by email so we hope you have entered your email correctly into the system... and... that you have checked the send email option! That part is very important!
- GBCC is a member-owned, member-funded and member-operated non-profit curling facility, open to all who want to participate in and support the sport of curling. The primary mission of the club and its board of directors is to encourage good curling and membership camaraderie and to maintain an enjoyable and well-kept facility. Every dollar available is re-invested in the club. Except for outside vendors maintaining some of our specialty equipment, all club business is conducted on a volunteer basis as there is no paid staff of any kind.
- This means that we rely on our members to take ownership and volunteer for the various activities that need to be done for the club to function and exist. Every year we ask our members to contribute a minimum of 4 hours of volunteer service... many have given far more than the minimum ... others are into the thousands! Every hour counts however and for each hour provided GBCC is a better place. As a way of easing new members into volunteering we ask that you complete a minimum of 2 hours of service for your club your first year. This will probably be something like assisting at a single Bonspiel... these are fun and a great way to meet more fellow members as well. Of course you are more than welcome to volunteer as much as you like - you don't have to stop at 2 hours!
- In financial support of the club, all members are asked to sell raffle tickets ($10 each). The number of tickets depends on the type of membership you have.
- The Broomstacker newsletter and this website are your main sources of information about your club. If it is happening it will be mentioned in the newsletter or posted here on this website somewhere. There will be news of upcoming events and you can always see how active we are by checking out our club calendar in the club events section. There will be links to follow for event registration and for volunteer opportunities.
- Always remember that the club is only as good as you make it. We welcome your solutions and are always open to change if it is for the betterment of our club.
So... welcome to the GBCC. It will be a great place to be this year!